It is the policy of the Board of Directors (the “Board”) of the City of St. Louis Municipal Library District (the “Library”), effective June 1, 2013, to permit groups and organizations to use the Central Library facility, subject to the requirements and conditions set forth herein, when Central Library is not needed for administrative use, activities sponsored in whole or in part by the Library or The Library Foundation for the Benefit of St. Louis Public Library (the “Library Foundation”), as long as such use is not disruptive of the normal operations, programs and activities of the Library. Such permission is revocable at any time, and does not constitute a lease. Permission to use the Central Library facility does not imply the Library’s sponsorship or endorsement of the aims, policies, or activities of any such group or organization. This Policy does not apply to events sponsored by the Library or the Library Foundation.
The Board hereby authorizes the use of Central Library for events only as set forth in this Policy as follows:
- It is the policy of the Board to permit the use of Central Library for groups or organizations that further the mission of the Library “to provide learning resources and information services that support and improve individual, family, and community life.” Use of Central Library for private events (i.e. weddings or other private parties) is prohibited.
- Under no circumstances may Central Library be used by any organization for campaign or partisan political events designed to endorse or promote a candidate or ballot issue.
- Effective January 1, 2015, Central Library may be used by an Applicant to conduct a fundraising activity.
- In accordance with the ordinances of the City of St. Louis, as may be amended, the Library does not discriminate in making Central Library available for use on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, marital status, age, sexual orientation or physical handicap.
- The Library Director will establish a fee schedule for use of Central Library for events. All Applicants will be charged a fee sufficient to cover the costs to the Library of opening and operating the Central Library facility for the event, and the Library reserves the right to include an amount/donation designed to benefit the Library or the Library Foundation. The fee schedule may include discounts for Foundation members as an incentive to Foundation membership. The fee schedule may be waived or adjusted only upon the approval of the Board at a public meeting, upon a showing of good cause and benefit to the Library.
- An event agreement, approved by the Library’s legal counsel, shall be entered into by the Applicant and the Library prior to the event, which will contain provisions to protect the Central Library facility, including but not limited to, requirements of Applicant to provide adequate insurance, indemnification of the Library, responsibility for any damages, security, compliance with applicable laws and ordinances and Library policies and procedures, and advanced deposits.
- The Library reserves the right to refuse future booking of events to Applicants that fail to abide by the Library’s policies and procedures, and the Library may pursue legal action against the Applicant to recover any damages as provided in the event agreement between the Applicant and Library.
- The use of Central Library for events shall be provided to Applicants on an as-is condition basis, and Applicant shall be solely responsible for all claims, liabilities, damages, death, injury, theft, or other loss incurred during or as a result of the use of Central Library by Applicant, and those attending the event. Under no circumstances shall the Board, the Library and the Library employees assume liability or responsibility for injury or damage to the person or property of those attending events at Central Library.
- The Library Director shall develop guidelines within the parameters of this Policy governing the use of Central Library for events. Such guidelines shall address issues including the exact space available to the Applicant, use of caterers and of alcoholic beverages, the reservation and cancellation process, public performances at the event and any other relevant time, place or manner restrictions. These guidelines are effective upon execution and publication by the Library Director, and do not require Board approval.
- The use of all Library Branch meeting rooms and auditoriums shall be governed by the Library’s Meeting Room Policy, and are not intended to be subject to this Policy.
- The Board reserves the right to amend this Policy and to limit the number and frequency of events permitted at Central Library, in the Board’s sole discretion and judgment.
- Exceptions to this policy can occur only upon the approval of the Board at a public meeting.
Adopted by the Board of the Library as of the 5th day of December, 2012. Revised August 4, 2014.