Getting a card for all ages
Your St. Louis Public Library card is free if:
- You live or pay property taxes within the City of St. Louis, St. Louis County, or St. Charles County
- You work or attend school in the City of St. Louis.
St. Louis Public Library requires identification that shows your name and current address to receive a library card or renew an existing card. Parents/Guardians of children under the age of 18 must sign for their child's library card. Resident cards are valid for 2 years; other cards must be renewed annually.
Fee-based cards are available through the St. Louis Public Library Foundation by becoming a Friend of the Library. Please call at 314-241-2288 with questions concerning eligibility.
If you live within the City of St. Louis, St. Louis County, or St. Charles County you can apply for an eCard that can be used for two years. With this eCard, you will be able to visit online databases, download ebooks, movies, television, magazines and music; and place holds on up to 3 titles. Visit any St. Louis Public Library location, with your current identification and you can pick up a permanent card with full borrowing privileges. Please note that available holds must be checked out within 7 days.
Renewing your library card
You will need Identification that shows your name and current address to renew your SLPL Library card. Cards can be renewed in person at any of our locations or by email. To renew in person, present your identification to Library staff at the checkout desk. To renew by email, send a photo or PDF of your identification to email@example.com a new window, opens a new window Cards for children under 18 can be renewed in person or by email. Identification of the parent/guardian on the child's account is required. For questions concerning eligibility and borrowing privileges, please call 314-241-2288
For your protection, remember to report lost cards promptly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Identification for adults
St. Louis Public Library requires identification that shows your legal name and current address to receive a library card. Photo identification is required for the checkout of non-print items.
Identification with no photo can include:
- Social Security Card
- Voter registration card
- Insurance card
If your identification does not show your current address, please present a piece of 1st class mail or e-bill dated with 30 days from the current date in addition to your identification.
We will also accept as proof of current address:
- A current Lease with dates, address and name
- A checkbook with name and current address
- A school schedule with name, address, and date - (library notices can be mailed to a central campus box, but students must provide dorm or residence hall information)
- A report card with name, address, and date
All adult cardholders have computer access.
For questions concerning eligibility and borrowing privileges, please call 314-241-2288 or email@example.com.
Identification for minors
When applying for a minor's library card, parents/guardians must present identification that shows the parent/guardian name and proof of current address.
- 30 day loan periods and an additional 30-day renewal.
- Borrow up to 50 items per checkout, which can include books, toys, CDs and playaways. There are limits on some A/V items.
- Ask staff at your nearest SLPL location to prepare a collection for you if you don’t have the time!
- Download an application here to get started.