In attendance were Vince Volpe, Vice-President, presiding; Jacque Land, Janet Rainford, Keith Savage, Thomas Schlafly, and David Sweeney.
Also present were Executive Director Waller McGuire and staff members Tiffany Davis, Carrie Dietz, Cathy Heimberger, William Jackson, Kathy Leitle, Brenda McDonald, Justin Struttmann, and Jen Wiese; Liz Reeves, Library Foundation; and Lisa Stump, Lashly & Baer.
The meeting was called to order at 5:33 p.m. by Mr. Volpe.
Mr. Schlafly's motion to approve the minutes of the September 24, 2018 Board Meeting, seconded by Mr. Savage, was approved.
Mr. Volpe presented a report on the October 12, 2018 Fiscal Affairs Committee Meeting.
Executive Director's Report:
- McGuire stated how his report is prepared each month, asking Board Members to let him know if they would like any changes to it.
- The Staff Training Day held October 8, 2018 went well with a slate of practical training sessions for all staff. Mr. McGuire will ask the Board to approve another training day in October 2019.
- Wiese presented the HR report.
The search for a Chief Public Services Officer has begun with search firm EMI) Consulting.
- Jackson presented the financial reports.
- Liz Reeves presented the Foundation report.
- McGuire distributed a proposed schedule of Board Meetings for 2019, asking that member send him any conflicts. Mr. Schlafly stated that the July meeting would work better on July 1 instead of July 8.
- McGuire distributed a list of holiday closings for the Library for 2019. The Board will be asked to vote on this list at the December meeting.
Mr. McGuire distributed a document with proposed changes to the Bylaws of the St. Louis
Public Library Board of Directors. The major changes are shifting his title from Executive
Director to Chief Executive Officer, changing the gender pronouns to be inclusive and changing the amount of money that requires Board approval to move from one budget line to another from $5,000 to $25,000. Mr. Savage noted that some of the gender pronoun changes had not been corrected.
Mr. Sweeney's motion, seconded by Mr. Savage, to approve the Bylaws changes with the gender pronouns corrected, was approved.
Mr. McGuire presented a Bank of America document to authorize himself, Mr. Struttmann, and Mr. Jackson as approved signatories on Library accounts. Ms. North-Murphy as Library Board President is already approved on the account.
Mr. Schlafly's motion, seconded by Mr. Sweeney, to authorize Mr. McGuire, Mr. Struttmann, and Mr. Jackson as signatories on the Bank of America accounts was approved.
Mr. Sweeney's motion, seconded by Mr. Savage, to go into Executive Session was approved by a roll-call vote.
At the regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the St. Louis Public Library on November 5, 2018, the following actions were taken:
|Mr. Schlafly moved||that the Board approve the minutes of the meeting of September 24, 2018. MOTION APPROVED (In favor Mr. Land, Ms. Rainford, Mr. Savage, Mr. Schlafly, Mr. Sweeney, and Mr. Volpe.)|
|Mr. Sweeney moved||that the Board approve changes to the Bylaws with gender Pronouns corrected. MOTION APPROVED (In favor Mr. Land, Ms. Rainford, Mr. Savage, Mr. Schlafly, Mr. Sweeney, and Mr. Volpe.)|
|Mr. Schlafly moved||that the Board approve Mr. McGuire, Mr. Struttmann, and Mr. Jackson as signatories on the Bank of America Library Accounts. MOTION APPROVED (In favor Mr. Land, Ms. Rainford, Mr. Savage, Mr. Schlafly, Mr. Sweeney, and Mr. Volpe.)|
|Mr. Sweeney moved||that the Board go into Executive Session. MOTION APPROVED (In favor Mr. Land, Ms. Rainford, Mr. Savage, Mr. Schlafly, Mr. Sweeney, and Mr. Volpe.)|
The meeting ended at 6:13 p.m.