In attendance were Nina North-Murphy, President, presiding; John Dubinsky, Jacque Land, Janet Rainford, Keith Savage, Thomas Schlafly, David Sweeney, and Vince Volpe.
Also present were Chief Executive Officer Waller McGuire and staff members Tiffany Davis, Cathy Heimberger, Jermell Howard, William Jackson, Stephanie Jones, Kathy Leitle, Mary Meyer, Joe Monahan, Angie Miraflor, Daisy Porter-Reynolds, Anna Strackeljahn, Justin Struttmann, and Jen Wiese; and Lisa Stump, Lashly & Baer.
The meeting was called to order at 5:32 p.m. by Ms. North-Murphy.
Minutes: Mr. Savage's motion, seconded by Mr. Schlafly, to approve the minutes of the September 14, 2020 meeting was approved.
Election of Officers: Mr. Schlafly, chair of the Nominating Committee, presented Ms. North-Murphy for President and Mr. Volpe for Vice-President. Mr. Savage's motion, seconded by Mr. Sweeney, to approve the slate of officers was approved.
Chief Executive Officer's Report:
- Mr. McGuire stated that the Board Meeting would be streaming live.
- The Staff Recognition event will be virtual this year and will happen October 20, 2020.
- Divoll Library has reopened after being closed several weeks because of electrical issues
- Cabanne Library is still closed due to structural issues.
- Mr. McGuire commended the staff for continuing to under difficult circumstances and stated that currently the Library is aware of two staff members diagnosed with COVID, both seemingly infected outside the Library. Staff are following local, state, and federal guidelines.
- Ms. Porter-Reynolds gave a report on Public Services statistics, stating that because of the closure of locations, then reduced hours and limits on the number and time spent in locations for visitors, most statistics are down for the year, but the number Library cards created was up slightly and that checkouts of electronic materials was even.
- Mr. Monahan reported that the Early Childhood Outreach Team (ECOT) has resumed delivering deposits to childcare centers and are presenting virtual storytimes at any of the 70 centers that want them.
- Ms. Miraflor reported that Adult Outreach staff members have been in contact with their customers at the 65 centers they visit. They have transitioned some of them to the Books by Mail service. This service worked with 17 people before the pandemic, but now has 120 using it. They are also taking deposit collections to any of the sites that request them.
- Mr. McGuire reported that at three of the Parks Department Rec Centers, the Library has placed Hotspots so that children who have been coming to the Centers can have connectivity to do their virtual studying. The Board discussed several ways that the Library could get more funding to purchase additional Hotspots to distribute to the community.
- Ms. Davis reported on the creation and efforts of the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee. The work of this group is just beginning, and future efforts will be reported to the Board.
- Mr. McGuire stated that a document included in the Board packet gave an overview of the plans for a new Creative Experience installation at Julia Davis. The Foundation is actively working to raise funds for this effort. The Berges Family Foundation has contributed $300,000.
- Ms. Wiese presented the HR report.
- Mr. Jackson presented the Financial report.
- Mr. McGuire presented the Foundation report.
Ms. Rainford's motion, seconded by Mr. Savage, to adjourn was approved.
The meeting ended at 6:35 p.m.
At the regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the St. Louis Public Library on October 5, 2020, the following actions were taken:
|Mr. Savage moved:||that the Board approve the minutes of the September 14, 2020 meeting. MOTION APPROVED (In favor Mr. Dubinsky, Mr. Land, Ms. North-Murphy, Ms. Rainford, Mr. Savage, Mr. Schlafly, and Mr. Sweeney.)|
|Mr. Savage moved:||that the Board approve the slate of officers presented by the Nominating Committee. MOTION APPROVED (In favor Mr. Dubinsky, Mr. Land, Ms. North-Murphy, Ms. Rainford, Mr. Savage, Mr. Schlafly, Mr. Sweeney, and Mr. Volpe.)|
|Ms. Rainford moved:||that the meeting be adjourned. MOTION APPROVED (In favor Mr. Dubinsky, Mr. Land, Ms. North-Murphy, Ms. Rainford, Mr. Savage, Mr. Schlafly, Mr. Sweeney, and Mr. Volpe.)|