In attendance were John Dubinsky, President, presiding; Keith Savage, Thomas Schlafly, David Sweeney, and Vince Volpe (arrived at 5:52 p.m.).
Also present were Executive Director Waller McGuire and staff members Carrie Dietz, Diane Freiermuth, Cathy Heimberger, Chiquetta William Jackson, Lori Lakebrink, Kathy Leitle,Brenda McDonald, Scott Morris, Jen Ohzourk, Mary Paliser-Barton, Elizabeth Rudloff, Justin Struttmann, Lisa Thorpe, and Jen Wiese; Liz Reeves, Library Foundation; and Lisa Stump, Lashly & Baer.
The meeting was called to order without a quorum at 5:31 p.m. by Mr. Dubinsky.
Staff members Mary Paliser-Barton read a letter which was given to the Board secretary, and Elizabeth Rudloff made comments to the Library Board, concerning the recent staff salary changes.
Mr. Dubinsky commented on the special Library Board meeting held April 30 to review and approve the changes to the compensation budget.
Executive Director's Report:
• Mr. McGuire and St. Louis County Library Director Kristen Sorth met with Civic Progress and made a presentation about the Career Online High School program. The group asked that they present a joint request for funding in four weeks.
• Confluence Academy has received all the information they requested from the Library, but there has been no further communication from them. They are currently making reduced payments that the Library agreed to, but this has gone on longer than expected. Mr. McGuire suggested that an end date for these reduced payments be set.
• The second Drag Queen Storytime will be held May 12 in Central's auditorium. A Chicago developer asked to discuss developing the Library-owned parking lot at 15th and Olive. A proposal has not yet been received.
• The rescheduled "Shakespeare in the Streets" performances will be held in front of Central in June.
• The Summer Reading Club brochure was included in the Board packets. The summer camps are filled, and Operation Food Search is expanding their food program, with Central becoming a full-service site.
• Mr. Jackson presented the Finance Report.
• Ms. Reeves presented the Foundation Report.
• Mr. McGuire stated that salary changes have been made.
Mr. Volpe arrived at 5:52 p.m., giving the meeting a quorum.
Mr. Schlafly's motion to approve the minutes of the April 2, 2018 Board meeting and the April 30, 2018, Special Board meeting, seconded by Mr. Sweeney, was approved.
Mr. Savage's motion to go into Executive Session to discuss individual and personnel matters, seconded by Mr. Schlafly, was approved by unanimous vote.
At the regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the St. Louis Public Library on May 7, 2018, the following actions were taken:
Mr. Schlafly moved
that the Board approve the minutes of the meeting of April 2, 2018, and the special meeting of April 30, 2018.
MOTION APPROVED (In favor Mr. Dubinsky, Mr. Savage, Mr. Schlafly, Mr. Sweeney, and Mr. Volpe.)
Mr. Savage moved
that the Board go into Executive Session. MOTION APPROVED (In favor Mr. Dubinsky, Mr. Savage, Mr. Schlafly, Mr. Sweeney, and Mr. Volpe.)
The regular meeting ended at 6:16 p.m.