In attendance were John Dubinsky, President, presiding; Jacque Land, Nina North-Murphy, Keith Savage, Thomas F. Schlafly, David Sweeney, and Vince Volpe.
Also present were Executive Director Waller McGuire and staff members Walter Coleman, Tiffany Davis, Cathy Heimberger, Chiquetta Hunter, William Jackson, Kathy Leitle, Jen Ohzourk, Justin Struttmann, and Ed Witkowski; John Fox Arnold, Lashly & Baer; and Liz Reeves, Library Foundation.
The meeting was called to order at 1 p.m. by Mr. Dubinsky.
Mr. Schlafly's motion to approve the minutes of the June 5, 2017 Board meeting, seconded by Mr. Savage, was approved.
Mr. McGuire included a press release from Shakespeare Festival St. Louis announcing that their performances September 15-17, 2017 would be at Central Library. He included an SLPL flyer that lists all the solar eclipse programs scheduled in the system around the August 21 total eclipse. He distributed eclipse glasses that staff are giving to patrons who are interested.
The third time was a copy of a report on KMOX about NLEC's continued attempts to re-open that facility.
Mr. Dubinsky announced that there would be an Executive Session following the regular Board Meeting.
Executive Director's Report:
- The Born to Read initiative to distribute packets for newborns is progressing. Cathy Heimberger has met with the administrations of the Affinia, People's Health Center, and BJC clinics that conduct well baby visits in the city and all locations are agreed to participate. There is a request to also get the packets in Spanish for two South City clinics. The Foundation has committed to frnding these packets.
- The Summer Reading Club numbers are up from last year and the number of summer camps doubled this year and are very well attended.
- Operation Food Search food trucks are visiting five Library locations Monday through Friday with meals for children. During the month of June, 1,500 meals were served. The annual Food for Fines program began July I and extra pickups have had to be scheduled because the bins at some locations have filled up so fast.
- The condominium agreement negotiations with Confluence Academy continue.
- The Human Resources Director's position is currently posted and there are a number of other positions currently open.
- Mr. Jackson presented the Financial Report.
- Ms. Reeves presented the Foundation Report.
Mr. Volpe presented the Fiscal Affairs Committee Report.
Mr. McGuire presented a Memorandum of Understanding document that details the agreement between St. Louis Public Library and the St. Louis County Library for the funding and administration of the Career Online High School program. Mr. Sweeney's motion, seconded by Mr. Land, to accept the document was approved.
Mr. Dubinsky's motion to go into Executive Session, seconded by Mr. Schlafly, was approved by a unanimous roll call vote.
At the regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the St. Louis Pubic Library on July 10, 2017, the following actions were taken:
|Mr. Schlafly moved||that the Board approve the minutes of the meeting ofJune 5, 2017. MOTION APPROVED (In favor Mr. Dubinsky, Mr. Land, Ms. North-Murphy, Mr. Savage, Mr. Schlafly, Mr. Sweeney, and Mr. Volpe.)|
|Mr. Sweeney moved||that the Board approve a Memorandum of Understanding between St. Louis Public Library and St. Louis County Library about The Career Online High School funding and administration. MOTION APPROVED (In favor Mr. Dubinsky, Mr. Land, Ms. North-Murphy, Mr. Savage, Mr. Schlafly, Mr. Sweeney, and Mr. Volpe.)|
|Mr. Dubinsky moved||that the Board go into Executive Session. MOTION APPROVED (In favor Mr. Dubinsky, Mr. Land, Ms. North-Murphy, Mr. Savage, Mr. Schlafly, Mr. Sweeney, and Mr. Volpe.)|