In attendance were Nina North-Murphy, President, presiding; John Dubinsky, Alison Ferring, Keith Savage, Thomas Schlafly, and Vince Volpe.
Also present were Chief Executive Officer Waller McGuire and staff members Tiffany Davis, Cathy Heimberger, Jermell Howard, William Jackson, Kathy Leitle, Mary Meyer, Joe Monahan, Angie Miraflor, Daisy Porter-Reynolds, Justin Struttmann, and Jen Wiese; Liz Reeves, Library Foundation; and Lisa Stump, Lashly & Baer.
The meeting was called to order at 5:32 p.m. by Ms. North-Murphy.
Minutes: Mr. Savage's motion, seconded by Mr. Schlafly, to approve the minutes of the August 3, 2020 meeting was approved.
Fiscal Affairs Committee: Mr. Savage gave a report of the September 10, 2020 Fiscal Affairs Committee meeting. Mr. McGuire stated that the proposed budget is conservative, even though assessments are up a little, based on the City Assessor's report. A concern may be whether some taxpayers may not be able to pay property taxes this year because of the effect of the pandemic on the economy. Staff will keep a close eye on revenue, and be prepared to recommend changes to the budget if necessary. Mr. Jackson presented an overview of the draft budget and stated that the Library will have time to adjust the budget as needed.
Mr. Savage's motion, seconded by Mr. Volpe, to approve the 2020-2021 budget, as recommended by the Fiscal Affairs Committee, was approved.
Nominating Committee: The Nominating Committee, chaired by Mr. Schlafly with members Mr. Savage and Mr. Sweeney, presented a slate of officers of Ms. North-Murphy for President and Mr. Volpe for Vice President. - The vote will be taken at the October Board Meeting.
Chief Executive Officer's Report:
- Mr. McGuire thanked Board Members for the discussion and vote on the budget.
- Ms. Wiese presented the HR report.
- Mr. Jackson presented the financial report.
- Ms. Porter-Reynolds presented a report on voting activities at Library locations including that notary services will again be available at several locations, about 100 staff members will be able to register customers to vote; several locations will be polling places; and that between October 2 and November 2, Buder, Central, Julia Davis, and Schlafly will be absentee voter locations.
- Ms. Porter-Reynolds reported that staff will recommend some changes to the Circulation Policy to the Board in the next couple of months. The changes will streamline the policy and make it more flexible.
- The Library is working to continue providing meals for children, out of concern than many are not having school lunches because of the change in the school year. The Library is continuing to work with Operation Food Search in this program.
- The local PBS station is currently hosting storytimes presented by Library Youth Services staff and filmed and edited by Creative Experience staff, with financial support from Foundation funds.
- Mr. McGuire shared a screen shot to show the location of the Library “Black Lives Matter” video on the website.
- Ms. Heimberger showed photos of billboards and bus tails advertising the Library's circulating Hotspots and laptops.
- The Jelly Babies and the Manolo “Butterflies” sculpture at Central all received St. Louis masks to help encourage people to wear them.
- Ms. Reeves presented the Foundation report.
Ms. Ferring's motion, seconded by Mr. Volpe, to adjourn was approved.
The meeting ended at 6:21 p.m.
At the regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the St. Louis Public Library on September 14, 2020, the following actions were taken:
|Mr. Savage moved:||that the Board approve the minutes of the August 3, 2020 meeting. MOTION APPROVED (In favor Mr. Dubinsky, Ms. Ferring, Ms. North-Murphy, Mr. Savage, Mr. Schlafly, and Mr. Volpe.)|
|Mr. Savage moved:||that the Board approve the 2020 – 2021 budget. MOTION APPROVED (In favor Mr. Dubinsky, Ms. Ferring, Ms. North-Murphy, Mr. Savage, Mr. Schlafly, and Mr. Volpe.)|
|Mr. Ferring moved:||
that the meeting be adjourned. MOTION APROVED (In favor Mr. Dubinsky, Ms. Ferring, Ms. North-Murphy, Mr. Savage, Mr. Schlafly, and Mr. Volpe.)