In attendance were Nina North-Murphy, President, presiding; John Dubinsky, Alison Ferring, Janet Rainford, Keith Savage, Thomas Schlafly, David Sweeney, and Vince Volpe.
Also present were Chief Executive Officer Waller McGuire and staff members Joan Cooksey, Tiffany Davis, Jon Drakesmith, Cathy Heimberger, William Jackson, Stephanie Jones, Tonnya Joy, Kathy Leitle, Mary Meyer, Joe Monahan, Angie Miraflor, Daisy Porter-Reynolds, Justin Struttmann, Lisa Thorp, and Lisa Wolfe; Liz Reeves, Foundation, and Lisa Stump, Lashly & Baer.
The meeting was called to order at 5:30 p.m. by Ms. North-Murphy.
Minutes: Ms. Rainford's motion, seconded by Mr. Sweeney, to approve the minutes of the October 5, 2020 meeting was approved.
Chief Executive Officer's Report:
- The Library system is continuing to operate with limited hours following pandemic procedures.
- Cabanne Library is still closed because of structural issues, by Divoll Library has reopened after Ameren completed necessary electrical repairs.
- Ms. Porter-Reynolds gave a report about voting initiatives in Library locations stating that four locations had volunteer notaries for several days before the election and notarized 315 ballots. Four locations; Buder, Central, Julia Davis, and Schlafly; were in person absentee voting locations from October 12 - November 2, 2020. While the Board of Elections does not provide the number of voters who used this service, each of the locations reported increased gate counts ranging from 1 1/2 - 4 times the usual number of people entering the locations. On election day, seven locations will be polling places. These locations will be staffed, but regular Library services will not be available, due to concerns of possible overcrowding.
- Ms. Porter-Reynolds also related two customer compliments. A former resident who grew up in the Julia Davis area, but moved away, then attended an Ivy League school, stopped at the Julia Davis location and stated that he was impressed at how the Library has kept up with the times. Another customer at Julia Davis came in and used the services, then told staff, “Libraries got cool!”
- Ms. Davis and Ms. Miraflor gave a presentation on the work of the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) taskforce.
- Mr. Jackson presented the financial report and stated that the auditors will start work in mid-November, with a completion of the 2019-2020 audit in either late February or early March 2021.
- The new ADP payroll system went live October 25, 2020.
- Mr. Struttmann presented the HR report.
- Ms. Reeves presented the Foundation report.
- Mr. McGuire reported that Mr. Land had intended to attend the Board meeting, but that his wife had had a small stroke and is recovering from it.
- Mr. McGuire reported that Leslie Holt, the former Director of Youth Services passed away October 30, 2020.
Ms. Porter-Reynolds reviewed updates to the Circulation Policy.
Mr. Schlafly's motion, seconded by Mr. Dubinsky, to approve the updates to the Circulation Policy was approved, with one abstention.
Ms. Rainford's motion, seconded by Mr. Savage, to go into Executive Session was approved by a unanimous roll call vote.
The regular meeting adjourned at 6:27 p.my
At the regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the St. Louis Public Library on November 2, 2020, the following actions were taken:
|Ms. Rainford moved:||that the Board approve the minutes of the October 5, 2020 meeting. MOTION APPROVED (In favor Mr. Dubinsky, Ms. Ferring, Ms. North-Murphy, Ms. Rainford, Mr. Savage, Mr. Schlafly, Mr. Sweeney, and Mr. Volpe.)|
|Mr. Schlafly moved:||that the Board approved the updated Circulation Policy. MOTION APPROVED (In favor Mr. Dubinsky, Ms. Ferring, Ms. North-Murphy, Mr. Savage, Mr. Schlafly, Mr. Sweeney, and Mr. Volpe. Ms. Rainford abstained.)|
|Ms. Rainford moved:||
that the Board go into Executive Session MOTION APPROVED
(In favor Mr. Dubinsky, Ms. Ferring, Ms. North-Murphy, Ms. Rainford, Mr. Savage, Mr. Schlafly, Mr. Sweeney, and Mr. Volpe.)