St. Louis Public Library
St. Louis Public Library is seeking an Assistant Branch Manager with leadership and management experience to join our management team. This position will play a critical role in shaping the future of the Buder Branch and the Library. Our ideal candidate is someone who is innovative and engaged to help us move forward with our primary mission as a progressive and customer-centered public library providing vital services to the people of St. Louis. The Assistant Manager is someone who is innovative and enthusiastic, understands the importance of collaboration, and is skilled at inspiring a talented team. This position assists in the direct supervision of staff at the largest and busiest Regional Branch. The role will require high-level decision-making in regards to customer service, staffing, quality programming, and effective outreach.
In this role you will:
• Assist in the daily operation of a busy regional library including circulation, reference advisory, technology assistance, programming, and outreach
• Resolve customer complaints
• Assist in staff supervision, including the hiring, training, scheduling, assigning, evaluation, and potential discipline of staff
• Motivate and coach staff through effective communication and embracing change.
• Work with librarians and managers system-wide to develop and execute strong public services.
• Assist in the development of system policies and strategic plans.
You will need to be:
• Friendly, outgoing, and able to build relationships at all levels.
• Strategic about engaging staff to meet and exceed library goals.
• Able to see the big picture and promote system-wide consistency and excellence of service.
• Capable of effectively presenting information and responding to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the public.
• Flexible, positive, and willing to work with customers and staff to successfully resolve problems.
You will need to have:
• A Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited university.
• At least 3 years of progressive experience in public libraries.
• One year of supervisory experience.
• Customer Service Experience
• Strong communication, writing, and speaking skills.
You will get:
• Competitive salary range starting at $49,300/year
• Medical, dental, and life insurance
• Paid vacation, holidays, and sick days
• Pension plan through the Employees Retirement System of the City of St. Louis
• Professional development
St. Louis Public Library is a true urban library, representing the historic center of the St. Louis region: the City of St. Louis. With its roots in the mid-1800s, St. Louis Public Library has a long history of innovation and service, a large and historic collection including rare books and extensive special collections, and a diverse and dedicated staff. Our technology is a major resource throughout the City and beyond, and the Library makes an enormous investment in technology annually to keep them state of the art. We operate 17 locations in a relatively small city of 61 square miles. These range from our magnificent Central Library – one of the world’s great public libraries – to regional and neighborhood libraries that vary in size and design but are centerpieces in their communities. St. Louis was an early, passionate supporter of library services to children, and that remains a core value and mission. Outreach into our varied communities, marketing the Library’s remarkable strengths, and working with civic and cultural partners to benefit St. Louisans are all closely held values and goals at the Library.
About Buder Library:
• Originally built in 1922. Buder Library has moved twice since its original location.
• 40,000 square feet
• Offers public services on four levels
• Collection size is 90,000 (includes juvenile and adult materials)
• 1 computer lab (holds 16 computers and one copier)
• 3 meeting rooms (one auditorium, one smaller conference room, and a multipurpose room)
About the neighborhood:
Buder is part of the St. Louis Hills neighborhood, a neighborhood situated in the southwest area of St. Louis. In 2018 Buder celebrated its 20-year anniversary in the current location. The neighborhood is primarily older adults and young families at one time described as “Country living in the City.” St. Louis Hills is an active community with a supportive neighborhood association, the St. Louis Hills Neighborhood Association (SLHNA). SLHNA “encourages activity and participation in all aspects of community living.”
If you are interested in pursuing this opportunity, please apply to https://www.slpl.org/slpl-employment-application/ and include your cover letter and resume.