|Accession Number:||MA uu:171
|Location:||SC E1 – Shelf 4, Compton|
|Dates:||circa 1925 – circa 1995|
|Size:||1 box and 1 oversized item|
|Creator/Collector:||Created by Special Collections|
|Acquisition info:||An assembly of materials given by unknown donors.|
|Accruals:||Few accruals expected|
|Custodial history:||The collection was created in Special Collections in 2015. All of the WIL radio materials were combined to create one discrete collection.
The oversized framed record was added to the collection in January 2017.
|Processed by:||Sarah Cain, June 2015; Kristina Impastato, January 2017|
|Conservation notes:||All items placed into acid-free folders and envelopes within archival boxes. Metal fasteners have been removed.|
|Scope and Content:||The collection contains show scripts, publications, ephemera, and memorabilia of WIL Radio.
WIL radio began broadcasting at the 1430 AM frequency under the call letters WEB on April 5, 1922, though the station might have been established as early as 1920 under letters 9ZB which was owned by Lester “Eddie” Benson. WEB and WIL was a low-power, local-coverage station until 1939 when it went from 100 to 250 watts. In March 1949, WIL increased to 5,000 watts and broadcasted from 1430 kHz. In addition to its main programing, WIL started to cover sports, including St. Louis Cardinal games. The station was sold in 1957 to the Balaban chain. In the 1960s, the station switched to a Top 40 format and then switched to a country music format in the late 1960s when KXOK overtook WIL in the Top 40 category. WIL-AM was renamed WRTH on December 4, 1990 FM. The station went through a few more format and call letter changes between July 2003 and March 6, 2008 before becoming the current KZQZ.
WIL-FM started broadcasting sometime in the early 1970s. Bonneville International sold the station, along with sixteen others, to Hubbard Broadcasting in early 2011.
|Restrictions:||Copyright. Permission required to reproduce images.|
|Remarks:||Jean Gosebrink accession numbers included with corresponding items.
*WIL Radio 1430 Gus What letter donated with photo. Photo is housed with WIL photos in the St. Louis Radio Photograph Collection.
Oversized item stored at Compton.
WIL Radio Collection
circa 1925 – circa 1995
1 legal Hollinger and 1 oversize; 0..75 cu. ft.
|1/-||WIL News metal ink pen with case|
|1/-||WIL News metal ink pen. MA 14:12|
|1/2||Air Service contract forms, 1920s. Ge-001503|
|1/3||Community Club Awards buyer’s guide, 1950s. Ge-001217|
|1/4||Continuity for Radio Show script, September 18, 1929. Ge-001505|
|1/5||Correspondence, 1929, 1933. Ge-001502|
|1/6||EKKO radio verification stamp, circa 1925|
|1/8||Memorabilia and ephemera*. Ge-606, Ge-539d, MA 14:25, MA 15:05|
|1/9||Music playlists, 1959-1983. MA 14:15, MA 14:24, MA 15:05|
|1/10||WIL News, September 1928-March 1930 [incomplete]. Ge-00934|
|-/-||1 framed gold record with plaque of Billy Joe Royal, The Royal Treatment, Atlantic Recording, 1987. MA uu:176 Compton|