|Accession Number:||MA 90:10
|Location:||SC E1 Shelf 1|
|Dates:||1926 - 2013|
|Creator/Collector:||Collected by KFUO and others|
|Acquisition info:||Transferred from SLPL Tin Room Files
The first accession came as a donation by KFUO on October 2, 1990.
The second accession was of the materials that had no traceable
provenance and brought together to form one discrete collection.
|Accruals:||Few accruals expected|
|Custodial history:||The collection was created in Special Collections in 2015. All of the accessions were combined to create one discrete collection.|
|Processed by:||Sarah Cain, February 2015|
|Conservation notes:||All items placed into acid-free folders and envelopes within an archival box. Metal fasteners have been removed.|
|Scope and Content:||The collection contains correspondence, clippings, publications, ephemera and memorabilia for KFUO.
KFUO founders claim that KFUO-AM is the oldest religious radio station in the world. The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod’s board proposed and approved development of a radio station at its meeting in February 19, 1923. The broadcasting license for the station was issued on October 25, 1924. A formal dedication for the station was held on December 24, 1924.
When KFUO-AM went on the air on Dec. 14, 1924, the first broadcast originated from the attic of one of the seminary buildings at the old Concordia Seminary on South Jefferson in St. Louis. The station began by broadcasting only two programs per week, and by 1928, the broadcasting hours had increased to 21 per week. Before
KFUO was finally assigned a station of its own at 830 kHz on July 1, 1940, it had to share airtime with KSD and also with KFVE (later KWK) a for a month in 1927. KFUO did not stay at 830 kHz, but instead moved to its present home at 850 kHz in 1941. KFUO expanded in 1948 to include a FM station better known as Classic 99.
KFUO-AM’s studio was originally located at the old Concordia Seminary on South Jefferson. In 1926, the station followed the move of the seminary to the seminary’s present grounds in Clayton. The AM and FM stations have shared studio space ever since KFUO-FM went on the air in 1948. On June 24, 2013, KFUO-AM and -FM began broadcasting from their newest studio at the LCMS International Center Chapel at 1333 S. Kirkwood Road.
|Arrangement:||Collection organized into subseries.
Series 1: KFUO-AM
Series 2: KFUO-AM
Series 3: KFUO-AM & KFUO-FM
|Restrictions:||Copyright held KFUO. Permission required to reproduce images.|
|Remarks:||Jean Gosebrink accession numbers included with corresponding items.|
1926 - 2013
1 legal Hollinger; 0.5 cu. ft.
|Series 1: KFUO-AM|
|1/4||Pamphlets and booklets—Christmas services and worship|
|1/5||Promotional items—memorabilia. Ge-469, Ge-522, Ge-539b, Ge-575, Ge-689a, Ge-689b|
|1/6||Scripts, 1945, 1959. Sign-off, October 14, 1945; “The Work and the Word” October 18, 1959. Ge-1487.|
|Series 2: KFUO-AM|
|1/8||Sales materials. Ge-208, Pr-41/MA 90:10|
|Series 3: KFUO-AM & KFUO-FM|
|1/9||Ephemera. Ge-215, Ge-218, Ge-219, Ge-454|
|1/10||Newsletters. The Gospel Voice, 1954-1995. Ge-1376, Ge-222; Vibrations, 1999; C3 Magazine, 2010.|
|1/11||Pamphlets and ephemera—marketing|
|1/12||Pamphlets and ephemera—programming|
|1/13||Papers, pamphlets and booklets—station history. Ge-1247|
|1/14||Program guides, 1969-1972|