ALL APPLICANTS FOR SHELVER POSITIONS MUST TAKE THE SHELVER TEST AT DURING THEIR INTERVIEW IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR A SHELVER POSITION. YOU CANNOT BE CONSIDERED FOR A SHELVER POSITION WITHOUT PASSING THIS TEST.
Central Library, 1301 Olive Street
The Shelver is responsible for organizing Library materials according to classification standards and keeping the shelf areas in good order.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Shelves all Library materials in proper location according to priority.
- Organizes materials on book truck.
- Straightens materials on the shelves to ensure consistency and attractiveness.
- Reviews material placement to identify potential shelving errors.
- Searches for abandoned materials to add to the book truck or proper location.
- Assists patrons with location questions.
- Maintains assigned sections through regular shelf-reading and shifting.
- Completes pull item lists and retrieves materials as assigned.
- Assists in processing holds and incoming deliveries.
- Communicates areas of concern to supervisors for further maintenance.
- Packages items into envelopes and/or bins for outgoing delivery.
- Monitors book drop area for material returns.
- Assist patrons with technology related questions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to arrange items in a certain order according to a specific set of rules.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of the Dewey Decimal Classification System.
- Skill to recognize differences in detail.
Education and/or Experience
No prior experience or training. Previous library volunteer experience preferred.
Varies by location, mix of day and evening shifts, weekend availability required.
$10.05 per hour