Location: Administration Building & Central Library, 1415 & 1301 Olive Street
The Public Safety Officer I is responsible for serving and protecting Library staff, patrons, and assets while unarmed.
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Patrols Library-owned property, both inside the building and its perimeters.
- Conducts a monthly inspection on assigned Library locations.
- Creates incident reports to track safety concerns, including daily activities and irregularities.
- Creates maintenance requests to identify attention needed to a specific matter.
- Examines doors, windows, and gates to ensure security.
- Notifies Police and Fire Department by telephone in case of emergency situations.
- Enforces Library rules, including providing warnings and apprehending/evicting violators.
- Activates and deactivates security alarms.
- Responds to public safety matters after hours.
- The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and climb or balance.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Security License required through St. Louis City/County Police Department.
- Must have valid driver’s license
- Ability to recall events including people and objects.
- Ability to remain alert for long periods of time.
- Ability to adhere to chain of command.
- Knowledge of customer service principles.
- Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, and property.
Mon-Fri, 6 am-11 am
$12.16 per hour
The St. Louis Public Library offers full benefits for our employees. They include:
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Company-paid pension plan
- Company-paid life insurance
- Voluntary supplemental life insurance
- 15 paid vacation days per year
- 13 paid sick days per year
- Company-paid long term disability
- Employee-paid short term disability
- Flex Spending Accounts