Location: Administration Building & Central Library, 1415 & 1301 Olive Street
The Public Safety Officer I is responsible for serving and protecting Library staff, patrons, and assets while unarmed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Patrols Library-owned property, both inside the building and its perimeters.
- Conducts a monthly inspection on assigned Library locations.
- Creates incident reports to track safety concerns, including daily activities and irregularities.
- Creates maintenance requests to identify attention needed to a specific matter.
- Examines doors, windows, and gates to ensure security.
- Notifies Police and Fire Department by telephone in case of emergency situations.
- Enforces Library rules, including providing warnings and apprehending/evicting violators.
- Activates and deactivates security alarms.
- Responds to public safety matters after hours.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
Qualifications and Competencies
- Security License required through St. Louis City/County Police Department.
- Must have valid driver’s license
- Ability to recall events including people and objects.
- Ability to remain alert for long periods of time.
- Ability to adhere to chain of command.
- Knowledge of customer service principles.
- Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, and property.
Mon-Fri, 12:30-9:30 pm, rotate Sun
$12.16 per hour
The St. Louis Public Library offers full benefits for our employees. They include:
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Company-paid pension plan
- Company-paid life insurance
- Voluntary supplemental life insurance
- 15 paid vacation days per year
- 13 paid sick days per year
- Company-paid long term disability
- Employee-paid short term disability
- Flex Spending Accounts
- Voluntary benefits begin within 30 days of employment