St. Louis Public Library is seeking a Manager of Youth Services with leadership and management experience to join our administrative team. This position will play a critical role in shaping the future of youth services at the library. Our ideal candidate is someone who is innovative and engaged to help us move forward with our primary mission as a progressive and customer-centered public library providing vital services to the people of St. Louis. This position provides direct supervision of staff in the Early Childhood Outreach Department, Teen Services Specialist, Program Coordinator, as well as oversees and mentors staff who provide direct services to youth at 13 locations. The role will require high-level decision-making in regards to customer service, staffing, quality programming, and effective outreach.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the day-to-day operations of youth services.
- Motivates and coach staff through effective communication and embracing change.
- Works with managers and youth services staff system-wide to develop and execute strong public services.
- Assists in the development of system policies and strategic plans.
- Hires and oversees our first centralized teen services position and lead them to create and implement a direction for services to teens.
- Friendly, outgoing and able to build relationships at all levels.
- Strategic about engaging staff to meet and exceed library goals.
- Able to see the big picture and promote system-wide consistency and excellence of youth services.
- Capable of effectively presenting information to executive management, public groups and boards of directors.
- Flexible, positive and willing to work with customers and staff to successfully resolve problems.
Education and/or Experience
- A Master's Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited university or equivalent.
- Four years of progressive experience in working with youth in a public library or similar setting.
- Two years of supervisory experience.
- Strong communication, writing and speaking skills.
The St. Louis Public Library offers full benefits for our employees. They include:
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Company-paid pension plan
- Company-paid life insurance
- Voluntary supplemental life insurance
- 15 paid vacation days per year
- 13 paid sick days per year
- Company-paid long term disability
- Employee-paid short term disability
- Flex Spending Accounts
- Voluntary benefits begin within 30 days of employment