Location: Central Library, 1301 Olive Street
The Manager of Research Collections oversees the operation of the Second Floor of Central Library (Computer Commons; Social Sciences; History & Languages; Fine Arts; and Entertainment, Literature, & Biography).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises staff of five (5) departments including defining expectations; training & mentoring; evaluating performance; and establishing work schedule.
- Serves as manager-in-charge on select evenings and weekends
- In consultation with, and following established procedures from, Collection Management Services, oversees the collections in area of responsibility, including monitoring of material activity.
- Oversees federal depository collection, Steedman Library, and Funding Information Network agreements and procedures.
- Assists in budget development and oversees assigned spending.
- Monitors Research Collections service provided to customers to ensure needs are met.
- Identifies programs to attract and retain Library customers.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of programs and adjusts as needed.
- Oversees Comics University, Grants & Foundation Center programs, and services to small businesses & entrepreneurs.
- Conducts outreach with the community via social media, BiblioCommons, e-mail, phone, and physical attendance at meetings and events.
- Provides suggestions to Marketing to promote services & collections based on the Strategic Plan.
- Monitors Savannah related to demographics and analytics.
- Collects statistics for areas of responsibility, analyzes data, and makes recommendations related to the data.
- Handles complaints from customers and works to resolve issues; submits incident reports to PITS as needed.
- Oversees blogs & lists for BiblioCommons in area of responsibility; creates blog posts and lists in support of Research Collections.
- Utilizes Insider & Central Team site as a communication tool.
- Submits monthly reports and other reports that accurately reflect work and achievements of self and staff.
- Encourages staff to consider innovation for current processes.
- Works with other Central Services managers as a team, assists with staff meetings, and communicates regularly with other managers and staff.
- Researches technological advances and reads professional literature that may improve Library services and collections for customers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
Master's degree from an ALA-accredited university or equivalent; or four to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Two to five years of supervisory experience.
- Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- SirsiDynix Symphony.
- Employee Scheduling software, preferably When to Work
- Security Reporting and tracking software, preferably Patron Incident Track system (PITS)
- Savannah (OrangeBoy), customer intelligence platform.
- Software & hardware on public access computers as well as mobile printing.
Mon, 9 am-6 pm; Tue, 12-9 pm; Wed-Fri, 9 am-6 pm; rotates every 3rd Wednesday evening shift and every 3rd Saturday (9 am-6 pm) with other Central managers with Friday off when working Saturday.
$54,100-$69,000 per year
The St. Louis Public Library offers full benefits for our employees. They include:
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Company-paid pension plan
- Company-paid life insurance
- Voluntary supplemental life insurance
- 15 paid vacation days per year
- 13 paid sick days per year
- Company-paid long term disability
- Employee-paid short term disability
- Flex Spending Accounts