Location: Walnut Park Branch, 5760 West Florissant, 63120
The Branch Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of a neighborhood branch to support its diverse community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in daily circulation operations of the branch to include check-in/out, readers’ advisory and reference, and desk coverage.
- Evaluates fiction, serials, non-fiction and music in the adult collection for withdrawal, retention and performance.
- Supervises branch staff by interviewing, scheduling and assigning work, training, evaluating performance, providing feedback, and carrying out disciplinary actions.
- Plans, coordinates, and evaluates adult programming at branch.
- Markets Library programming and provides community outreach through attendance and presentations at monthly neighborhood meetings, organizations, and community events.
- Compiles branch performance and service statistics and submits in the monthly report.
- Participates in professional development opportunities, including ongoing training.
- Oversees performance of non-branch staff and provides feedback to their supervisors.
- Supports branch staff and patron adherence to Library policies, procedures, and standards.
- Performs Cash Management duties and ensures that cash levels and deposits are accurate.
- Resolves patron complaints regarding policy and procedure at branch level, and seeks assistance from Regional Library Manager and/or Director of Neighborhood Services when unable to resolve.
- Oversees building maintenance, safety, and security of branch, including identifying and recommending improvements for inclusion in fiscal year budget.
- Maintains open communication with Regional Library Manager and Director of Neighborhood Services to facilitate successful operations of branch and staffing.
- Establishes and nurtures networking contacts to increase Library opportunities for partnerships, programs, and collaboration.
- Serves on Library workgroups, committees, and taskforces as assigned.
- Assists in staffing other locations or departments as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Directly supervises employees in the Branch. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; providing feedback; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Ability to perform multiple duties simultaneously.
- Skill to speak effectively to a wide audience range.
- Ability to identify complex problems, evaluate options, and implement solutions.
Education and/or Experience
Master's of Library Science from an ALA-accredited university with 2-3 years of supervisory experience, or equivalent combination of Bachelor's degree and supervisory experience.
- Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word).
- Integrated Library System (ILS), preferably SirsiDynix Symphony Workflows.
- Integrated Library System (ILS) reporting software, preferably BLUEcloud Analytics.
- Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC), preferably BiblioCommons.
- Library research interfaces such as EBSCOhost, ProQuest, ABC-CLIO, NewsBank and JSTOR.
- Web browsers including Google Chrome and Internet Explorer.
- Digital Library programs such as Overdrive, Hoopla Digital, Freegal, Mango Languages, and Baker & Taylor Titlesource360.
- Enterprise Resource Planning software, preferably Serenic.
- Facilities Management software, preferably Facilities Dude.
- Human Capital Management software, preferably DayForce.
- Employee Scheduling software, preferably When to Work.
- Security reporting and tracking software, preferably Patron Incident Track system (PITS).
- Print Management software, preferably Pharos.
- Collection management software, preferably collectionHQ.
Mon, 9 am-6 pm; Tue-Thu, 10:30 am-7 pm; alternating Fri (9:30 am-6 pm) and Sat (9 am-6 pm)
$54,100 per year
The St. Louis Public Library offers full benefits for our employees. They include:
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Company-paid pension plan
- Company-paid life insurance
- Voluntary supplemental life insurance
- 15 paid vacation days per year
- 13 paid sick days per year
- Company-paid long term disability
- Employee-paid short term disability
- Flex Spending Accounts
- Voluntary benefits start within 30 days of employment