The Lesson Plans on the Civil War on the Western Border website help educators utilize all the primary sources and innovative features of that website in their Grade 8-12 classrooms, stimulating interest in and understanding of the Civil War era in Missouri and Kansas. Each activity allows students to explore the Civil War through the use of documentary evidence and to hone their skills in research, reading comprehension, and analysis. The plans have been aligned with both Missouri and Kansas history content standards.
• The Dominion System and Loyalty Oaths in Missouri
• General Order No. 11 and Bingham’s "Martial Law"
• John Brown and Bleeding Kansas
• The Kansas-Nebraska Act and the Road to the Civil War
• Territorial Newspapers and Bleeding Kansas
• William Quantrill – Document-Based Questions Activity