1) An update regarding ongoing technological "issues" - while St. Louis Public Library has recovered most of its post-hack computer functionality, we continue to have periodic issues with the public databases, including the Foundation Center grant databases (Foundation Directory Online, Foundation Maps, & Foundation Grants to Individuals Online). Most Library databases can still be accessed from outside computers via slpl.org (Digital Content/More/A-Z Resources), but the Foundation Center databases are only available in person at Central Library in the SLPL system. They are also available at Kirkwood Public Library (314 821-5770) and at the Spencer Road Branch of the St. Charles City-County Library District (636 441-0794 ext. 1445), to the extent either of those locations would be convenient for you. But as I always say (sorry Kirkwood & St. Charles), our location is the prettiest place to use these resources - you may just want to give us a call (314 539-0357) or email (email@example.com) to see if the databases are available before making a trip to Central Library.
2) Some interesting offerings from outside the Library for folks in the local nonprofit community:
- UMSL's Nonprofit Management & Leadership Program has a number of non-credit courses this spring, kicking off with "Understanding Effective Grant Management" on Thursday, Feb. 23, 2017 from 2-5 p.m. in Room #202 JC Penney Conference Center (on the UMSL north campus).
You were awarded the grant? Congratulations! Now what? Come to this class to learn the basics of effective grant management and implementation, and to learn the proper accounting procedures and practices you will need to employ as you put your grant funds into action.
To register, and to see the rest of their upcoming courses, click here.
- Network for Strong Communities also has a busy training schedule on tap. Tomorrow (February 16) is "Volunteer Engagement 101" & next week kicks off with "How to Hire a Grant Writer" on February 21. To register for those and to see other upcoming NSC offerings, click here.
- Focus St. Louis presents "Leadership from the Inside Out" on Friday February 24, 2017 at Nine Network of Public Media. The presenter is Martin Leifeld, Vice Chancellor for University Advancement, University of Missouri-St. Louis and he will share "tips to enable and empower you to lead and impact organizational outcomes, regardless of your position on the org chart."
3) Finally, we have 2 more sessions coming up in our "10 Books Every [Musician/Filmmaker/Writer] Should Read", presented in conjunction with the Creative Experience (the "digital maker space" here at Central) & Volunteer Lawyers & Accountants for the Arts. We will be talking filmmaking on Thursday March 2 and writing on Thursday April 6 - both sessions from 4-5 p.m. in the Creative Experience. Here is the book list from the February 2 session for musicians, in case you missed it. Watch this space for upcoming grants & nonprofit related offerings!