Question: A Civil War soldier relative of mine is listed as having died in the “House of Refuge” in St. Louis on May 15, 1863. Was this a military hospital in St. Louis?
Answer: Yes, the House of Refuge was used temporarily by the Union Army as a hospital for sick and wounded soldiers. The House of Refuge was established in 1854 as an institution for the detention of homeless, abused, or neglected boys and girls. The mission of the House of Refuge was to educate its wards, teach them discipline, and enable them to care for themselves after release from the House. On the 14th of February, 1865, the center and east wing of the House were destroyed by a fire.
The House was located at 3300 Osage, at the corner of Osage and Louisiana (present-day location of Marquette Park).
Note: SLPL owns many books about Civil War medical personnel, medical care, and hospitals. Search our Online Catalog using these keywords:
civil war medical care