BLACK VOTES COUNT: THEN & NOW
February 1-March 31, 2020
All artists 18+ living in the St. Louis region are invited to enter a juried exhibition presented at the Schlafly Branch of the St. Louis Public Library. There is no entry fee.
Submissions must explore the 2020 Black History Month theme: African Americans and the Vote, historically and/or present-day, culturally or personally.
|Digital entries accepted no later than||December 15, 2019|
|Notification of acceptance on or before||January 18, 2020|
|Accepted entries due no later than||January 29, 2020|
|Reception and Award Presentation||February 15, 2020|
|Picking up entries||April 1-5, 2020|
Procedure For Digital Submission
Artists can submit up to three entries online here.
- Images should be 300 ppi, (1200 X 1800 pixels), JPEG file format.
- Up to 3 images per entry will be allowed with a total of 9.
- Included in the 9 images should be 1 detail image of each entry.
- Images later than December 15, 2019 will not be viewed.
- Accepted works not accurately represented by the submitted image will be withheld from the exhibition.
Digital entries should be labeled in the following manner:
Last name_first initial #1 (or #2 correspond with entry form)_title
- Black Votes Count: Then & Now is open to artists 18+ living, working, or attending school in the St. Louis, Missouri region and surrounding a 60-mile radius. Artist must also live, work, or attend school in the St. Louis region/60-mile radius when the show begins (February 1, 2020) in order to submit work and participate.
- Submissions must explore the 2020 Black History Month theme: African Americans and the Vote, historically and/or present-day, culturally or personally.
- The following media will be accepted: ceramics, collage, drawing, mixed media, painting, handmade paper, photography, printmaking, sculpture, textiles, and wood. Work must be created within the past 5 years (2014-) and not previously exhibited at Schlafly Branch Library.
Artwork submitted must be identical to accepted JPEG. No substitutions permitted. For additional information:314-367-4120 or email@example.com.
Judging & Awards
Works for exhibition will be selected from digital entries, and awards will be selected from actual artwork. Jurors will not be shown the artists names during either process. Awards will be given on February 15, 2020 and will include a Best in Show and two non-cash Awards of Excellence. Best in Show will be eligible for a one person show at the Schlafly Branch.
- Works must be professionally presented and ready for installation upon delivery.
- Works on paper must be matted and/or framed.
- Paintings & photography must be framed and/or have finished edges.
- Sculpture can be no more than 2’ in height and 25 pounds in weight.
Sale & Reproduction Rights
Sales are the sole responsibility of the artist and/or artist representative and cannot be conducted on St. Louis Public Library property. St. Louis Public Library reserves the right to reproduce any of the works for publicity purposes.
All reasonable care is taken to prevent damage to works received. St. Louis Public Library cannot accept responsibility for damage/loss to artwork during delivery or return. The artist is responsible for declaring and submitting value for works submitted for exhibition. Maximum coverage per entry is $2500.
Download and print paper entry form here Black Votes Count entry form