Libraries & hours Holiday schedule Policies Press releases Employment Library Foundation Contact us More...
St. Louis, MO… The St. Louis Public Library’s newly renovated Carondelet Branch, 6800 Michigan Avenue, will soon be serving the people of south St. Louis again. The public is invited to join local and state dignitaries, Library officials, and Carondelet staff for a special Grand Reopening Celebration on Saturday, June 16, at 2 p.m. The event will feature a brief program and ribbon-cutting ceremony. Following the ceremony, the Branch will be open for viewing and business until 4 p.m.
Following its 18-month, $3.3 million restoration and renewal, visitors to the Branch will be treated to wide-ranging improvements including:
* A completely restored and renewed interior.
* The addition of an elevator to make the building fully accessible to seniors, parents with young children, and patrons with disabilities.
* An expanded parking lot for greater convenience.
* A new entrance facing the parking lot.
* Additional restrooms that are Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant.
* Updated computers and technology.
* Updated collections of books, magazines, DVDs, and other materials.* A painstakingly cleaned Works Progress Administration (WPA) mural.
Said Library Executive Director Waller McGuire, “When Carondelet opened 100 years ago, libraries were cornerstones of their communities. Today, in the 21st century, that is still the case. They are still places where people of all ages gather to learn, to share experiences, and to enjoy themselves. Tools and technology have changed immeasurably, but the Library’s human element continues to tie the community together.”
The Carondelet Branch renovation is the latest in the Library’s series of capital improvement projects funded by a property tax increase approved by St. Louis voters in 1994. The plan calls for major renovations at every Library location including Central Library, which is nearing completion of its $70 million restoration and is on schedule to reopen December 9, 2012.
Carondelet will resume regular hours on Monday, June 18. Branch hours are:
* Mondays: 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Tuesdays-Thursdays: Noon-7 p.m.
* Fridays: 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Saturdays: 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
Additionally, the Branch will host monthly programs through the end of the year in celebration of its return to service.
For more information, call 314-539-0363.# # #